The Red Desert 3 Day 2 Night Tour and Camp-Out Trip with John Mionczynski Friday June 25th-Sunday June 27th, 2021
This Wyoming Red Desert tour is our fourth year. We will generally be traveling the same route as last year (as our permit allows) and will be covering more information as every trip is different. If you have never been to the Wyoming Red Desert, it is a hidden ecosystem that is unknown even by many Wyoming residents. The Red Desert located in south central Wyoming covers an area of 9,320 square miles. John Mionczynski (ethnobotanist, biologist, and historian) will take us on a caravan drive and hike through the heart of the Red Desert. He will discuss the unique flora and fauna including the plant medicine of the region. We will explore important archeological sites, fossil beds and geologic formations. Bring your cameras and many questions.
THE NEW FIELD MAP & OTHER INFORMATION: https://reddesert.org
THIS IS A FIELD TRIP STYLE EXPERIENCE: The tour of the Red Desert is not a tour that has precise designated stops with a tour guide map telling everyone what the next site is. There are general locations that John (our experienced leader) will lead us to which include stops where he will present the history and significance of each site. Occasionally the stops may be changed due to weather conditions.
THE NEW BLM MAP: The new BLM Map that was made available last March, 2020 will be provided for each participant to use and see the various locations where we will be stopping, hiking or camping.
DATE & TIME: We will meet at 9:00 AM on Friday June 25th and will adjourn at 3:00 PM on Sunday June 27th.
LIMITED NUMBER OF ATTENDEES: There is a limit to the number of attendees so please make sure you sign up early to ensure your place.
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: We highly recommend that you bring an off-road vehicle for this trip. If you don't have an off-road vehicle with a clearance that is sufficiently high, we recommend you travel with someone who does. If you do decide to bring a vehicle that is not off-road that is your personal choice and you are responsible for any possible damage to your vehicle that may happen as a result.
MEETING PLACE: FARSON, WYOMING. This year we will be meeting at the Farson Mercantile in Farson, Wyoming located on the corner of highway 191 and highway 28. The exact coordinates are 4048 US - 191, Farson, WY 82932. Farson is two and a half hours south of Jackson, Wyoming. The Farson location has great cell reception and there is protected parking adjacent to the Farson Mercantile located across the highway from a gas station.
ITEMS TO BRING
- Sleeping bag and pillow. You may sleep in your vehicle, in a tent you provide or on the ground. A thick sleeping pad is strongly suggested.
- Pack your own food with paper plates and utensils. We will be having at least 4 short food breaks on this trip. Bring snacks and other easy access foods as well. Camp Stove Strongly Encouraged along with camp cooking supplies like a small dutch oven and/or cast iron or other metal pots and pans made for camping.
- A back pack is essential.
- Bring 2 days worth of water. Please bring full water containers for the trip as you will need to stay hydrated.
- THERE ARE NO OUTHOUSES OR BATHROOMS ON THIS TRIP. Please bring your own toilet paper, biodegradable wipes, etc. A small shovel is encouraged to bury any biodegradable waste you may leave. Do all you can to keep the desert as untouched as when you found it.
- Make sure your gas tank is full at Farson, Wyoming.
- Dress for hiking which means you should bring shorts and tee shirts along with a pair of warm jeans or other hiking pants. Also bring a light jacket. Bring comfortable hiking shoes.
- Sunscreen is a must
- Insect repellant
- People should have a First Aid Kit that is easily accessible in your back pack or vehicle.
- Flash Light
- PACK ALL TRASH OUT WITH YOU. DO NOT LEAVE ANY TRASH BEHIND.
Waiver Signatures Required: Since there will be some climbing and hiking (easy to moderate) that we will be doing there is some risk to participants. Though highly unlikely, there is a risk of a fall and injury. American Wilderness Botanicals and John Mionczynski are not held responsible for any risk that a participant may choose to take.
Refund Policy: American Wilderness Botanicals' refund policy on this package tour is 50% refund from day of purchase through Sunday June 6, 2020. Beginning June 8th, 2020 there are no refunds. Those who have a need to cancel are strongly encouraged to contact me (Ben Scott Clark) at (307) 690-8155 and transfer their place to another person who wishes to go. In other words this purchase is transferrable. Thank you.
COVID-19 Guidelines - We ask that all participants be respectful of others and their personal boundaries regarding COVID-19 prevention. Since the vast majority of the event is outside we are in a much safer space than indoors. Please use all wisdom and COVID-19 CDC guidelines in your participation during this event. This includes wearing a mask and socially distancing when appropriate. Thank you.